I love to hear that more and more people are discovering the Keto diet. Eating a low carb, moderate protein, and a higher fat diet works for many of us that suffer from insulin sensitivity. This nontraditional way of eating helps keep the blood sugar even, and therefore helps curb the overeating cycle. The weight almost seems to melt off!
But what do you do when you hit a plateau in your weight loss? As someone who has lost 140 pounds and has lived to tell, I am going to share five suggestions to help you break a stall in your weight loss journey.
- Are you eating fat, simply to “count” the grams in your diet? Eating too many fat bombs might be the culprit of stalled weight loss. Try using your fats as an ingredient in your dish, not the dish itself. (You don’t need to meet a daily macro count of fat consumption.)
- How many cruciferous vegetables are you eating? Non-starchy vegetables add bulk and fiber to your meals, allowing you to eat more while consuming less. If you balk at the idea of eating more of these weight loss gems, try adding fats to your vegetable dishes to improve their taste.
- Drink as much water as humanly possible. Be creative if you need to! Water literally flushes out your system while keeping you full. It’s a miracle weight loss elixir!
- Look for hidden sugars. Salad dressings, sauces, and even the type of wine you drink might be sneaking in more carbs than you realize. Take time to backtrack and review nutrition labels, challenging assumptions you made about your “allowable” foods.
- Start moving. I know, I know. Exercise is the last frontier for weight loss. I didn’t start exercising until I had lost 50 pounds and then hit a plateau, so I totally understand. Once I started moving, though, the weight loss continued. I went on to lose another 90 pounds; It works!
Whatever you do, don’t give up. It takes time to undo the mistakes of the past, and this is definitely a learning process. There will be downs, plateaus, and even some gains. Think big picture! All of your efforts will pay off. Choose the bigger life and KETO ON, my friends.